Need suggestions for the tasks? Looking for a community to complete the challenge with? Sign up for the Read Harder newsletter! Throughout the year, we’ll provide guidance on each task. On alternating weeks, we’ll be recommending books for every task as well as sharing other interesting readathons and reading challenges from across the internet. Paid subscribers get access to more recommendations as well as community features (starting in January).
As Read Harder has grown and changed over the years, we’ve seen a community of passionate readers spring up around it, scattered across many different social media platforms. That’s why this year, we’re adding a community aspect to the newsletter, where we can share our progress and recommendations with like-minded readers all in one place. Click here to learn more, and get ready to Read Harder with us in the new year.of the 2024 Read Harder Challenge tasks. Now, let’s get to the tasks!
Read Harder 2024
- Read a cozy fantasy book.
- Read a YA book by a trans author.
- Read a middle grade horror novel.
- Read a history book by a BIPOC author.
- Read a sci-fi novella.
- Read a middle grade book with an LGBTQIA main character.
- Read an indie published collection of poetry by a BIPOC or queer author.
- Read a book in translation from a country you’ve never visited.
- Read a book recommended by a librarian.
- Read a historical fiction book by an Indigenous author.
- Read a picture book published in the last five years.
- Read a genre book (SFF, horror, mystery, romance) by a disabled author.
- Read a comic that has been banned.
- Read a book by an author with an upcoming event (virtual or in person) and then attend the event.
- Read a YA nonfiction book.
- Read a book based solely on the title.
- Read a book about media literacy.
- Read a book about drag or queer artistry.
- Read a romance with neurodivergent characters.
- Read a book about books (fiction or nonfiction).
- Read a book that went under the radar in 2023.
- Read a manga or manhwa.
- Read a “howdunit” or “whydunit” mystery.
- Pick a challenge from any of the previous years’ challenges to repeat!
Remember, if you’re looking for recommendations or to connect with other people doing the Read Harder challenge, sign up for the Read Harder newsletter and become a paid subscriber for community features!